Tuesday 13 September 2016

Water of Water: Margarete Petersen’s Mother of Cups


I have to admit that Margarete Petersen’s court card images are a struggle for me – I rely so much on visual clues.  Here I have to remember what I’ve learned about the elements (many thanks to Alison Cross for hammering this into my brain!).  The Queen is Water of Water, and that does come across here. MP writes “I was born of the flow in every form”,, be it rain, river, ocean, springs, dewdrops, tears, sweat.  She nourishes, cleanses, and heals with compassion. She also dreams, bringing what’s hidden to light – a bit of the High Priestess, perhaps, with her intuition?  I can see how MP comes up with the ‘mature supporting guardian’.   

Mother of Cups (trimmed): © Margarete Petersen
I've noticed that all of Margarete Petersen's court cards contain a square boundary, within which most of the main image sits.  Here, the square boundary that contains all this love and compassion also seems to me to be rather restricting; can the water - the love, the wisdom - flow through it?  Perhaps this represents the 'thwarted' side of the Queen/Mother's nature - she can't always reach the people who seek her guidance... or perhaps the shadow side of this is emotional manipulation - all those hands pulling in different directions, many feet stamping through the water.



Love flows, compassion
Heals and cleanses, quenches thirsts,
Hidden dreams revealed.


Margarete Petersen Tarot, AGM-URANIA, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment